Shelf 2: Books back to UIUC

This is the shelf on women's history, gender history...

General Women's History
-Lerner, Gerda, The Woman in American History
-Lerner, The Majority Finds its Past (edited collection)
These might be useful as I look forward to making an article for the Journal of Women's History, or maybe not... I need to see what they're publishing now to know more, Lerner is, I assume, deep background due to the age of her work.

-Kerber, Women of the Republic: Intellect and Ideology in Revolutionary America
-Cott, The Bonds of Womanhood: "Women's Sphere" in New England, 1780-1835.
-Hays, The Cultural Contradictions of Motherhood. Covers too wide a time to be deeply useful to me, but interesting arguments that echo some of what Alma has written and suggested that I read.

-Matthaei, An Economic History of Women in America. This was a major point of reference in writing the dissertation, as background to arguments I wanted to to make about how childhood became important.
-Kessler-Harris, Out to Work. Never did get much into this one...

-Scott, Anne Firor. Natural Allies: Women's Associations in American History. Chpt 6 "Inventing 'Progressivism:' Municipal Housekeeping" was the one that caught my eye.

Teaching and Other Professional Histories
-Prentice and Theobald, Women Who Taught: Perspectives on the History of Women and Teaching. Might be more to be gained here, especially from the 1st chapter. Lots of it sounds familiar, which could be a GOOD thing for the prospective J. of Women's Hist. paper, because I can point out the demand-side and supply-side arguments all miss the agency-side, that women were agents actively making their inroads into previously male-dominated professions.

Literacy-Specific
-Gere, Anne Ruggles Intimate Practices: Litearcy and Cultural Work in U. S. Women's Clubs, 1880-1920. Interestingly enough, I feel compelled to look at this book again, at the same time that I remember vaguely thinking that it was squarely outside of the scope of the diss. Probably because I'm so intent on looking at women's professional work. I'd like to find a way to take this into account, somehow, without overgeneralizing about "all women."

Okay, enough again! I realized I forgot to count 2 shelves, so even though I just knocked another one off, I still have 7, maybe 8 more shelves to go. Nevertheless, I am making progress.

Popular posts from this blog

What Storytelling Is (Not)

ALA and the Data Storytelling Toolkit for Librarians

Data Storytelling for Librarians, Augusta Baker Series 2023