Diana Wynne Jones

Juliana just let me know that she's heard through the blog-grapevine some sad news about Diana Wynne Jones, which is that she has recently opted to cease chemotherapy (http://www.locusmag.com/News/2010/06/diana-wynne-jones-health-update/). Here's a blog post about sending fan mail, which now would indeed be a good time to do:
http://kate-nepveu.livejournal.com/488911.html

I sent my own little heartfelt note today. However, it seems to me that anytime is a good time to send fanmail to Diana Wynne Jones!

In my note, I pointed to The Lives of Christopher Chant and Dark Lord of Derkholm as my two personal favorites, the former because it details a situation in which a child has to learn to be skeptical of adult motives and the latter because it offers metal-level commentary on the tropes of fantasy while also being emotionally engaging and having a rousing good plot. I also love having almost-too-many characters to keep track of, as long as the author gives us good reason to care about the characters. Which Jones always does.

Popular posts from this blog

What Storytelling Is (Not)

ALA and the Data Storytelling Toolkit for Librarians

Data Storytelling for Librarians, Augusta Baker Series 2023